Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Guest Wi-Fi Access

From: "Pardonek, Jim" <jpardonek () LUC EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 14:42:33 +0000

We are in the process of revamping our guest access for our Wi-Fi.  In doing so, I’ve been assembling a grid that
includes all of the options that are available to us, given our infrastructure, and the risks and benefits for each
option.  One of the points that someone brought up was CALEA.  It doesn’t seem to be very clear as to how CALEA would
affect our guest access deployment but it also made me think if there were other Federal requirements that would
mandate our knowing who is on our network and making sure that we have somewhat accurate information as to their
identity.

I know this has been batted around a few times, but I’m having some difficulty finding a good solid answer.

Thanks,

Jim

James Pardonek, MS, CISSP, CEH
Information Security Officer
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Road | Chicago, IL  60660

•: (773) 508-6086
[standard_isc2_cissp]