Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Use of Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer

From: "Woodruff, Dan" <daniel.woodruff () ROCHESTER EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 13:25:27 +0000

Hi Ben,

We briefly used MBSA in limited areas a few years ago, but have since moved
on to relying on credentialed scans with Nessus. Nessus lets you plug in
credentials for SCCM as well, so it does a credentialed check of the
individual server and compares the results of what is found on the system
with what SCCM thinks is there. And rather than just relying on what the
registry says for installed patches, Nessus also checks versions of files on
the file system to make sure the patch is really there. We've had several
occurrences over the past 3-4 years where we installed a Microsoft patch,
then some third party software was installed that bundled a .dll or .ocx
which overwrote the patched version, leaving us vulnerable again. The
registry and SCCM were none the wiser since the file was
ripped-and-replaced, but Nessus was able to detect it and we could reinstall
the patches.

We've been big fans of Nessus here. Of course, MBSA is free and Nessus is
not.

I'd be glad to answer any questions about our specific setup off-list - just
let me know.

Dan Woodruff

University IT Security and Policy

University of Rochester