Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: endpoint security software

From: "Johnson, Matthew" <m.johnson () NEU EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 16:55:29 +0000

We use Symantec (SEP) for our user community as well and have found that it
is not so great in removing malware.   After recently meeting with the
Symantec rep they pointed us to Norton Power Eraser for assistance removing
rootkits and persistent malware instead of MalwareBytes or RogueKiller.

https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx

I have not tried it yet; I would be interested if anyone has had good
results using Power Eraser on malware such as the ZeroAccess rootkit.

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew Johnson

Information Security Analyst, Office of Information Security

Northeastern University

360 Huntington Ave, 177-22; Boston, MA 02115

O:  617-373-6080 | C: 617-515-7002 | F: 617-373-6423

 <http://www.northeastern.edu/securenu> www.northeastern.edu/securenu

This message may contain confidential or sensitive information and is for
the use of the intended recipient only.  If it appears you are not the
intended recipient, or if you feel you have received this message in error,
we ask your cooperation and that you refrain from disseminating,
distributing or copying this e-mail. We request that you delete this email
from your device and notify the sender.