Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SECURITY Digest - 19 Feb 2016 to 21 Feb 2016 (#2016-26)

From: Alex Keller <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:15:36 +0000

Jim et al,

I was interested in Cylance under the heading of “sounds too good to be true”. At the time (mid-2015) their product was
Windows only but it looks like they may now support OSX. I repeatedly inquired about getting a trial copy for testing,
but they seemed reluctant and wanted me to brave the pre-canned dog and pony webinar. I let that trail run cold, let us
know if you have any better luck.

Back to Thomas Carter’s original question, my perspective is that signature based AV has long since been outmoded by
the malware, it’s a dying approach, but the promises of next gen products based on
heuristics/behavior/posture/sandboxing/machine learning/pick-your-buzzword, haven’t panned out yet.

Pretty much everybody is disappointed with their traditional AV solution, but the common refrain is that 'something is
better than nothing and it may catch some legacy threats'. To some degree this has fueled a race to the bottom, folks
are simply licensing the cheapest possible solution that will work for their environment because the detection
differential is fairly narrow (i.e. they are all poor).

I’d love to be wrong on this…who really loves their AV solution and thinks it provides trusted protection against the
latest threats?

I’ve got a “Locky” crypto malware case
(https://medium.com/@networksecurity/locky-ransomware-virus-spreading-via-word-documents-51fcb75618d2#.2vef5icl5) on my
desk right now. Detection rate for the infected Word document vector on VirusTotal is 3/55 with none of the major
vendors detecting:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/358f442f3d9b318ffcda1942e1e57b9f607a483400b26d91f7973dc753f61a08/analysis/

Yet, there is evidence this vector was observed back in December 2015:
https://techhelplist.com/spam-list/984-invoice-fastco-malware

BTW, if you are interested in reverse engineering infected Office documents, check out Didier Stevens' awesome tools
oledump (OLE) and emldump (MIME):
http://blog.didierstevens.com/my-software/
http://blog.didierstevens.com/2015/12/21/update-oledump-py-version-0-0-22/
http://blog.didierstevens.com/2016/01/24/update-emldump-py-version-0-0-6/