Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email address/account practices for college employees that change positions

From: "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones () UTH TMC EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 18:41:34 +0000

The affiliations a person can have with our institution can be very complex.  We have had people who were concurrently
a ‘student’, a ‘employee’, and a ‘resident’.  We regularly have people who transition from ‘student’ to ‘resident’ to
‘faculty’.  We have ‘employees’ who are concurrently in all other roles and transition to and from all other roles.  We
have people who deal with all manner of sensitive information including personal health information.

For the last fifteen years we have given all of these people, in all of these situations, only one email address.  If
we have ever had any issue, relating to a person retaining access to their mail after an affiliation change, I’ve never
heard about it.  My advice is to keep it simple.  One person, one address.