Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Computer Replacement Guidelines/Standards

From: David Seidl <dseidl () ND EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 11:19:05 -0400

Carlos,

Our effort to maintain a supportable campus computing environment is called
the "Campus Workstation Program", and details can be found here:
http://oit.nd.edu/computer-service-center/institutional-purchase/campus-workstation-program-cwp/

We operate on a four year lifecycle, although we regularly look at how long
we retain systems to balance hardware life versus costs. We offer a variety
of standardized systems via our procurement system, and our CWP
representatives typically use those. Custom system configurations are done
via a consultation process when needed.

We separate encryption and build standards from the workstation program,
which allows us to align standards to expertise (our information security
team handles OS standards in partnership with our platforms teams and field
IT support staff, for example).

David

David Seidl
Senior Director of Campus Technology Services
dseidl () nd edu | 574-631-7305