Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2015 is HERE!

From: Patricia Falcon <patricia_falcon () BROWN EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 09:16:44 -0400

Today’s the day! October 1 marks the first day of National Cyber Security
Awareness Month. Please help us raise awareness on campus as we observe the
12th anniversary of NCSAM.

Here are 5 ways to show your support this month:

   1. Become a NCSAM Champion
   <http://www.staysafeonline.org/ncsam/champions> and help us reach more
   than 100 institutions formally supporting #CyberAware Month this year.
   2. Join us

<http://www.educause.edu/events/educause-live-creating-culture-cybersecurity-and-safety-your-campus-and-your-community>
for
   the October 7 EDUCAUSE Live! webinar (1-2 pm EDT) as we discuss*Creating
   a Culture of Cybersecurity and Safety on Your Campus and in Your Community*
   .
   3. Read the latest guest blogs in our Security Matters column
   <http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters> and share them with
   your community—faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
   4. Join the weekly #ChatSTC Twitter chats each Thursday in October – the
   first one is today, 3-4 pm ET.
   5. Host a security awareness event, activity, or training session on
   campus and let us know your plans for our list of events
   <https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/2014infosecurityguide/NCSAM+Resource+Kit>
   !

We hope you will join us in doing our part as CISOs and security
professionals to increase awareness and improve information security on
each of our campuses and across the higher education community. In the
interest of protecting our constituents and institutional reputation, as
well as our economic and national security, this month serves to remind us
that we can achieve cybersecurity together. Over the next few weeks the
National Cyber Security Alliance and EDUCAUSE messages will center on the
following themes:

   - Week 1: STOP. THINK. CONNECT: Best Practices for All Digital
Citizens (Oct.
   1-2)
   - Week 2: Creating a Culture of Cybersecurity at Work (Oct. 5-9)
   - Week 3: Connected Communities and Families: Staying Protected While We
   Are Always Connected (Oct. 12-16)
   - Week 4: Your Evolving Digital Life (Oct. 19-23)
   - Week 5: Building the Next Generation of Cyber Professionals (Oct. 26-30
   )

Stay tuned for updates on new content throughout the month.

Sincerely,

Pat Falcon and Wiam Younes
HEISC Awareness & Training Working Group Co-Chairs