Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Exchange Online

From: "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones () UTH TMC EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 05:58:45 +0000

First of all, I am not a FERPA expert or a lawyer…

FERPA is full of ‘exception’ language.  I suspect that exchange of information in order to deliver a service to the
student will fall under one of the exception clauses.  But I have seen institutions withhold services if the student
elects to have their directory information withheld.

This is the legalese that caught my eye…

Ҥ 99.31 Under what conditions is prior

consent not requ

ired to disclose

information?

(a) An educational agency or institution

may disclose personally identifiable

information from an education record of

a student without the consent required by

§ 99.30 if the disclosure meets one or

more of the following con

ditions:

(1)(i)(A) The disclosure is to other

school officials, including teachers,

within the agency or institution

whom the agency or institution has

determined to have legitimate

educational interests.

(B)

A contractor, consultant, volunteer,

or other

party to whom an agency or

institution has outsourced institutional

services or functions may be considered

a school official under this paragraph

provided that the outside party

--”