Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Next Generation Firewalls

From: Brandon Dick <bdick () MURRAYSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 19:32:08 -0500

For you all that went with Fortinet:

When we were doing our bid, we put in requirements that the Firewall be 10GB capable and someone put in a bid for the Fortinet 1500D. According to the specs, the 1500D would put a Palo Alto 5050 to shame, but the cost difference wasn't even close, with Fortinet being the clear winner in price. I kept digging into it with the reseller and requesting guarantees that this would actually perform as well as they said, and eventually the reseller pulled out of the bid. So I never really got the full story on that one.

So my question is, how many of you think the 1500D would've actually handled 10GB of traffic? I noticed in your comparison below, they chose the 3600C, which makes me think even more that the 1500D wouldn't have performed to spec. It was just a really odd situation...