Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Seeking insight into DKIM implementation

From: Brett Wasley <brett.wasley () GALLAUDET EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 08:27:08 -0400

Greetings from Gallaudet University,

We are using Gmail and due to the number of phishing attacks that have
occurred recently we are discussing implementing DKIM as suggested by
Google.

One of the biggest "cons" of DKIM as I understand it is it has prevented
users from sending messages on behalf of their address from sites outside
of Gmail. In other words DKIM is an added layer of passive authentication,
validating the sending/relaying mail server is approved.  If this
sending-server reputation check fails, the message can be tagged as spam
and/or deleted and/or not accepted.  (ex. A message from a gallaudet.edu
address must be from a mail server that is an authorized relay.)

Those of you that have DKIM implemented is this a problem and if so, how
did you mitigate it? Are there better options for Gmail users (other than
turning on 2-factor authentication)?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

--
Brett Wasley, CISSP
Information Security Officer, Gallaudet Technology Services