Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

ICPL 2015

From: Tracy Beth Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:11:48 +0000

As the role of the information security professional keeps growing more complicated, so too must that professional
become more sophisticated in their understanding and approach of the higher education landscape in which he or she
works.  It is with that background in mind that I announce the 20th anniversary of the Internet Culture Law and Policy
Conference at Cornell University and the program for 2015.

This year ICPL will be held from Tuesday noon, September 15, throughout Wednesday September 16, and finishing at noon
on Thursday the 17th.

https://www.sce.cornell.edu/ps/icpl/index.php

It features a fantastic line up of speakers and topics.  For those interested in academic library related issues, CUL’s
award winning Librarian, Anne Kenney, will speak on the relationship between libraries and IT, institutional librarians
and information officers in particular.  Cliff Lynch, Executive Director of Coalition Network Initiative (CNI) will
continue to shock us with insights about data collection, big data and privacy … not a small topic these days, and one
that will be carried throughout much more of the program.

Wednesday, when we are celebrating the anniversary with a return of founders Margie Hodges-Shaw and Steve Worona.  They
will lead charter members Robert Post and Bob Hamilton, together with Steve McDonald, in two sessions that will address
free speech, intellectual property, communications law, including developments in technical security and privacy
practices.  Steve McDonald will also have his own session to bring us up to date on copyright. In the afternoon Dave
Sherry from Brown and Anne Manning from Wellesley will address information security and social networking.

Our dinner speaker is particularly distinguished:  Doug Lederman, Co-Founding Editor of Inside Higher Ed, will address
the challenges and opportunities of higher education.  A broad scope?  Yes, as any reader of IHE could attest on a
daily basis, from threats such as Gov. Walker’s on tenure to new emergent ventures in technology and distance education.

On Thursday morning we have a double treat, two alumni of Cornell University who have distinguished themselves in
policy and market areas.  Dipayan Ghosh, Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, works for the White House on Internet policy.
He has particular experience in helping to draft the current student data privacy legislation.  As an undergraduate,
Ben Cole interned with both Google and Facebook, and was one of handful of Google employees in Africa immediately out
of college. He has now a master’s degree in computer science from Cambridge University in the U.K., more work with
Google after that, and a recent move to Kickstarter.  He is also active as a technical consult for the Hillary Clinton
campaign.

https://www.sce.cornell.edu/ps/icpl/schedule.php

Please join us in the most longstanding conference in this area, one that talked about security before it became a
headline and continues to explore connections among law, technology, social norms and policy, both national and
institution.  For friends old and new, I look forward to seeing you there!

Tracy