Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Mobile Devices, MDM, and Google...

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 16:43:50 -0400

Goo afternoon folks, we are in the process of centralizing our Mobile
Device Management, and making sure that similar (Identical?) rules apply to
all platforms, and we had some questions for folks that are already doing
this. We are a Google Apps university, which adds somewhat of a layer of
complexity.

The questions we have are:

   - Do you do user-based Profiles for MDM, or Device-based Profiles?
      - If user based: Do you treat your Faculty/Staff/Students the same or
      differently?
   - What email system do you use?
   - What MDM system do you use? (And do you like it)
   - Do you have a written mobile device policy? (And would you be willing
   to share it?)
   - What policies do you enforce?

We are currently using the Google MDM to enforce a passcode on android
devices across the board, and using Apple's MDM for university owned iOS
devices. As you can guess, this causes some disconnect, and we are looking
to do it right, across the board.

Thank You
Frank

--