Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus within Computer labs

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:47:08 +0000

Except for their personal computers, students using lab computers are
probably where most events are likely to occur.  I would consider separating
the labs onto their own network and remove access to any resources,
especially the Internet.  Though, I would think most Enterprise AV companies
would work with you and the instructional software in making it work
together.  Many software companies include specific instructions on what to
exclude.  We use DeepFreeze in our labs and use Sophos Anti-Virus.  Sophos
has instructions on setting it up to work with DeepFreeze.  Another
consideration is any network based scanning.  IPSs and NG firewalls
incorporate AV scanning too.  So, removing the AV from the computer may not
solve the issue.

Good luck!

Got a Phish (email)? Forward it to  <mailto:abuse () nsu edu> abuse () nsu edu!

Ronald King, CISSP, RHCE

Interim Technical Services Director & CISO

Office of Information Technology

Norfolk State University