Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: State networks DDOS

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 13:17:10 +0000

Perfectly legit question.  We’re number 27 on this list.  From the chatter yesterday it looked to me like after the
initial attack on Maine, they were ramping up attacks on about 5 entries on that list a day and iterating through it.
If that pace continued (admittedly a very large assumption), we would pop up on Wednesday, April 1st.  If they took the
weekend off, as I’ve seen some malicious actors do – that being the workday job – we would pop up on the 3rd.

There are a lot of unknowns and a lot of assumptions so take that prediction with a grain of salt – the main thing is
they seem to be iterating through the list, and while Kansas is on it, we’re a fair way down, so while an attack can be
anticipated in the near future it didn’t seem immediately imminent.

Kevin