Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI 3.0 compliance - resources

From: David Schreiber <dschreiber () TENABLE COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 23:19:07 +0000

Howdy, noticed this thread on PCI 3.0 compliance and have some input you all may find useful:

Webcast, “Navigating the New PCI 3 Self-Assessment Questionnaires (SAQs)”
https://discussions.nessus.org/docs/DOC-1124

Jeff Man, a former QSA who’s focused on PCI issues moderates “Straight Talk about PCI” a form open to anyone with PCI
questions: https://discussions.nessus.org/community/pci

Regarding this ListServ’s recent PCI queries, Jeff offered the following input:

Using a cloud solution or not has no bearing on which SAQ to use – the selection of SAQ is determined by the method of
payment acceptance.

IF you are eCommerce ONLY – you use either SAQ A or SAQ A-EP). This is also referred to as CARD NOT PRESENT.

IF you are a face-to-face (brick and mortar) type merchant and you either have a POS (separate device or web-based
application) that directly contacts the payment processor (dialup or Internet) then you might use  SAQ B/SAQ B-IP/SAQ
C/SAQ C-VT. This is also referred to as CARD PRESENT.

Every other payment acceptance method (like having your own networked payment systems that includes routing the
electronic payment traffic out to ta payment processor) requires the use of SAQ D-Merchant.

If your business is providing services/support/solutions to a merchant that makes you a SERVICE PROVIDER – which means
SAQ D-Service Provider.

Finally, if you have a fully-qualified and certified P2PE solution you may use SAQ P2PE.