Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Banner Data Guard / VMWare / Zerto (Zert0) / Veeam

From: Thomas S Wolfe <tswolfe () UALR EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:50:10 -0500

Friends:

As I work together with our CIO, Nathan Nolen, to improve the quality of
the information services our department provides to the campus, we are
looking to implement a highly available disaster recovery solution for our
Ellucian Banner student information system.

While we review traditional SAN-over-WAN disaster recovery scenarios that
leverage VMWare for dependent non-database system replication and Banner
Data Guard for replication of the database itself, we remain especially
interested in more novel approaches -- for example, a product like Zerto
(Zert0).

By extension, we are interested in feedback from, or a dialogue with, those
institutions that have successfully deployed Banner in a hot-hot or
hot-warm scenario, using Banner Data Guard in conjunction with either
traditional or more novel solutions.

Looking at the EDUCAUSE CIO archives, I do see that a similar request was
made some months ago, but it seemingly went unanswered.  Altogether, I look
forward to any thoughts, comments, experiences, and / or recommendations
our EDUCAUSE friends might wish to share.

Best & Respectfully--
Tom Wolfe
--
*Thomas S. Wolfe | Deputy Chief Information Officer*
University of Arkansas at Little Rock | Information Technology Services