Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vendor Network Access

From: John Kaftan <jkaftan () CAYUGA-CC EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:53:20 +0000

Thanks Dennis:

I am on the fence about this.  For IT whenever someone needs to come in to support us we do a screen share from the
Network guys’ PCs.  I am tempted to require this same sort of access with the HVAC vendor.  If a vendor needs to get in
they have to have someone on our side to initiate the “Join.me” or “Webex” etc. connection and sit there and work with
the vendor.  That way it would be for more of a support role and our HVAC guys would be able to see what is going on so
they can learn and need less help.

I agree, if we allowed it at all, there would have to be total segmentation which there should be anyway, even if
nobody is coming in from afar.

What I am wondering is if anyone has a list of hoops the vendor would need to jump through before we would allow this,
e.g.

1.       Passwords on HVAC equipment must be changed from default.

2.       All network protocols must be secure, no HTTP or Telnet.

3.       Connections will only be allowed from a single corporate IP address

4.       Only RDP traffic will be allowed to an onsite server for the HVAC equipment via VPN or RDG (RDP Gateway)

5.       No site unique information can be stored on tech laptops

6.       Each tech must have their own login to the server

I’m not saying all of these are necessary but they are few that come to mind.

John