Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AD and Domain Admin Policy?

From: "Dugan, Darin D [ITSYS]" <dddugan () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:35:42 +0000

While we’re on the topic, and at the risk of thread hijacking, how many accounts do folks have for IT admins? I’d say
at a minimum everyone should have two – unprivileged and some kind of server/app admin account. On top of that domain
admins should have a third with domain admin privs.

The gray area for me is in the (non-DC) server/app area. For those that wear many hats, do you have separate admin
accounts for Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, vSphere, vendor app A, etc? Why or why not?

Circling back to Russ’ question, one layer we make use of is logon restrictions so that privileged accounts can only
log on to specific machines. A domain admin would be unable to log on to a workstation even if they tried. Yes, they
have the ability to modify the logon restrictions, but we have auditing in place to detect that. Domain admin accounts
are only used to manage AD itself. Everything else is delegated to less privileged accounts.

Cheers.
--
Darin Dugan, Systems Analyst
Information Technology Services