Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Linux Grinch attack

From: "Boyd, Daniel" <dboyd () BERRY EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:22:47 +0000

My observation after reading what materials I have found is this - exploiting this requires the equivalent of dropping
dominoes on the floor, and all of them landing upright and within range of each other to allow the "hacker" to touch
the first one and bring them all tumbling down.

Our Linux systems do not have packagekit (which IMO is a piece of software looking for a use case - why would you mix
up packages from different Linux systems - you are begging for something to break) installed by default, so this is
mostly a nonissue for us.

The other question is:  Why would you by default allow a user who does not have root privilege to install system
software without some kind of authentication/verification?  Sounds like a hack waiting to happen.

The headlines I have seen have been over-hyped and sensational in nature - feels like a publicity stunt.

Dan

Daniel H. Boyd (94C)
Senior Network Architect
Security Governance and Documentation Committee Chair
Network Operations
Berry College
Phone: 706-236-1750
Fax:     706-238-5824

There are two rules to follow with your account passwords:
1. NEVER SEND YOUR PASSWORD VIA EMAIL (TO ANYONE)!!!!!
2. If unsure, consult rule #1