Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI - Third party vendors

From: Hendra Hendrawan <hendra () YORKU CA>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:15:46 -0400

Hi Craig,

I second Brad's point on the fact the coffee shop owner is responsible.
Specifically, they are responsible for filing the compliance paper work
with their bank. NIU on the other hand should be concerned with the
university's reputation in the case of a breach to cardholder data (CHD).

I think it is important to ensure that the merchant understand the service
agreement. For instance, the connection provided is not PCI compliance,
etc. Hopefully, they will take it seriously and consider the security of
the payment channels.

On the good side, most pinpads are equipped with an encryption system.
Your network may not be compliance but the traffic containing CHD is
secure.

Contact me offline if you need more info.

Regards,

Hendra Hendrawan ? Senior Security Analyst
Information Security
University Information Technology (UIT)

YORK UNIVERSITY
040 Steacie Building ? 4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON ? Canada M3J 1P3
T 416.736.2100 ext 22317 F 416.736.5830
hendra () yorku ca ? www.yorku.ca

York UIT will NEVER send unsolicited requests for passwords or other
personal information via email. Messages requesting such information are
fraudulent and should be deleted.

The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv