Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2014 is HERE!

From: Larry Thomas <lthomas () FAU EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:06:37 +0000

It's that time of year again! October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM), and this year marks the 11th
anniversary. Help us raise awareness with your faculty, staff, and students on campus this October.

Here are 5 ways for you and your institution to show support while creating a culture of cyber safety and security on
your campus:

1) Register for the October 14 EDUCAUSE Live! Webinar (1-2 pm EDT), ³CIO Insights on Cybersecurity²:

http://www.educause.edu/events/educause-live-cio-insights-cybersecurity

2) Hold cybersecurity awareness events and activities on your campus during October and throughout the year. Free
resources are available at:

http://www.educause.edu/ncsam

3) Become a NCSAM Champion: http://www.staysafeonline.org/ncsam/champions

4) Get social & join the #HigherEd #NCSAM conversation this month:

http://www.educause.edu/blogs/vvogel/join-highered-ncsam-conversation

5) Conduct a cybersecurity awareness or training session for your IT organization¹s staff.

Friendly Reminder: If you plan on holding an event in October, please share your plans and URLs with this group or send
an e-mail to security-council () educause edu<mailto:security-council () educause edu> so your institution¹s activities
can be included with our list of 2014 campus events:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/2014infosecurityguide/NCSAM+R

esource+Kit.

We hope you will join us in doing our part as CISOs and security professionals to increase awareness and improve
cybersecurity on each of our campuses and across the higher education community. In the interest of protecting our
constituents and institutional reputation, as well as our economic and national security, this month serves to remind
us that we can achieve cybersecurity together.  Over the next few weeks the National Cyber Security Alliance and
EDUCAUSE theme messages will center on the following:

  *   Week 1: General Online Safety - Promoting online safety with the STOP.THINK.CONNECT.(tm) Campaign
  *   Week 2: Secure Development of IT Products - Building security into information technology products
  *   Week 3: Critical Infrastructure and the Internet of Things - The importance of protecting critical infrastructure
and properly securing all devices
  *   Week 4: Cybersecurity for Small and Medium-Size Business - What emerging and established businesses can do
  *   Week 5: Cybercrime and Law Enforcement - Working with law enforcement to combat cyber crime and educating the
public

Sincerely,

Larry L. Thomas and Wiam Younes

NCSAM Task Force co-chairs