Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ISO27002 vs ISO27006

From: "Jones, Dan J." <djjones () WPI EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:58:35 +0000

Dan,

ISO 27001 formally defines the mandatory requirements for the ISMS.

ISO 27002 is a code of practice (not a formal specification such as 27001)

ISO/IEC 27006 is the *accreditation standard* that guides auditors on the processes they must follow when auditing
their clients’ Information Security Management System (ISMS). The accreditation processes laid out in the standard give
assurance that ISO/IEC 27001 certificates issued by accredited organizations are valid.

That said, my understanding is organizations should build out their ISMS per the requirements (27001); using 27002 as a
guide code of practice.

The practical use for 27006 in building a foundation, IMO, would be as a guide for developing procedures that will
satisfy the elements an auditor will be looking for, but not as a substitute for 27001.

Best
-Dan
Dan Jones
Information Security Office