Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Due Diligence for Identity Finder Scanning

From: David Seidl <dseidl () ND EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:35:44 -0400

Jim,

We opted for a risk based approach. Organizations that are expected to deal
with SSNs get a more frequent scan rate (once a month, or quarterly). Areas
that shouldn't have SSNs get a longer time frame.

We used our original scan data and relative occurrence rates to help
influence the scan timeframes, giving us a good relative risk mapping.

David

David Seidl
Senior Director of Campus Technology Services
dseidl () nd edu | 574-631-7305