Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Wireless Networks - to hide or not to hide

From: "Wood, Anne (wood)" <wood () JUNIATA EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 16:34:05 +0000

Hi,

Our Campus Technology Services group has been testing in-house solutions that use wireless devices that do not connect
to WPA2-Enterprise networks, such as Apple-Tvs, Rokus, Raspberry Pis, Ubiquiti power/monitoring controllers, etc.  We
initially set up a test hidden ssid using Mac address filtering to get a sense for how these devices might be connected
to our wireless network without causing additional confusion and/or curiosity within our user community.  We are
finding that several of these devices are not able to maintain reliable connections to a hidden ssid and I have been
asked to unhide this network.

I am curious if others have made decisions on supporting these types of wireless devices on their networks, why those
decisions have been made (to support or not), and any advice that may offered to help guide my decision.

Thanks so much!
Anne

Anne M. Wood
Assistant VP & CIO
Juniata College

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The materials in this electronic mail transmission (including all attachments) are private and
confidential and are the property of the sender. The information contained in the material is privileged and is
intended only for the use of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended addressee, be advised that any
unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this material
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to
the e-mail, and then destroy it immediately. Thank you.