Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Information Security tools

From: John McMillan <jmcmillan () SOUTHALABAMA EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:55:47 -0500

We have two different IPS products deployed, and we've used three products
in total over the years. There have been very few issues related to the
rules deployed, none of them very serious. The only major negative impact
was related to a bug that made one of the sensors stop processing traffic
but not fail open as designed.  One of our IPS products is also DLP
capable, which is on my project list for testing and deployment.

As for SIEM, we really want to find something that we like, but so far
everything we've looked at that was promising was also very expensive.  I'm
curious to hear what others may have to say on that topic.