Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password change *recommended* -- RESULTS?

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:40:43 -0500

For most accounts, we went to a minimum 15-character passphrase with a
one-year expiration about a year ago (implemented in a staggered fashion
over roughly a 90-day period).  So far, so good.  There was the expected
initial grumbling about "15!! characters?!?", but once the annual
expiration (vs. 90 and 180 days for different classes of users) was
absorbed, things have settled.  We'll see if the initial renewal period
generates new problems, but so far it's been smooth.

- ken