Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

peerTransfer's concern about EasyTransfer

From: "Carr, Michael G" <michael.carr () UKY EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:11:36 +0000

Has anyone in your office (or your Bursar's office) been hit up by Tom Metcalf from peerTransfer,
www.peertransfer.com<http://www.peertransfer.com>, concerning the business practices of a Chinese company that has a
website called www.easytransfer.cn<http://www.easytransfer.cn> ?

We have at least a trademark issue with EasyTransfer (since we do not currently have a business relationship with them
and they are using UK's logo on their website, http://www.easytransfer.cn/colleges -- along with a fair number of other
institutions' marks.)

I know there is a fair amount of competition in this space (the processing of tuition payment for international
student) but don't know of any foul play associated with the business model.  Mr. Metcalf's alert can be interpreted as
an assertion that Easy Transfer is doing something improper as he also says that as of yesterday morning "things are
starting to blow up on listservs."  I, on the other hand, have seen/heard nothing about Easy Transfer on the numerous
listservs that I'm on and thought I'd start with my InfoSec brethren.

Has anyone seen/heard of any issues with either organization:  peerTransfer or EasyTransfer ?

Thanks,

Mike

Michael G. Carr, JD, CISSP, CIPP
Chief Information Security Officer
& Sr. Mgr, Enterprise Architecture
UK Analytics & Technologies (UKAT)
The University of Kentucky
122 James F. Hardymon Bldg
Lexington  KY  40506-0495
Desk: (859) 218-0306
Mobile: (513) 295-3067
Michael.Carr () UKy edu<mailto:Michael.Carr () UKy edu>

Security/Privacy Tip:  The UKAT Service Desk will never ask you for your password.  Never give it out.