Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC Strategic Priorities Update: April 2014

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:54:24 +0000

I would like to share the following message on behalf of the HEISC co-chairs, in case you are not subscribed to the CIO
list.
Thank you,
Valerie

Valerie Vogel Program Manager

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5374 | main: 202.872.4200 | educause.edu<http://www.educause.edu/>

=======================

Dear Colleagues,

In an effort to keep you informed about the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) 2014 strategic
priorities
<http://www.educause.edu/library/resources/higher-education-information-security-council-2014-strategic-priorities>, we
would like to share some of the current activities relating to the second priority: Continuing to Build the Information
Security Profession.

1) Promote and continue to hold the annual Security Professionals Conference This year's conference
<http://www.educause.edu/sec14> (our 12th!) will be held May 6-8 in St. Louis, MO. A virtual conference will also be
offered May 7-8; attendees may choose to participate individually or as part of a team. Offered annually, this
conference allows 400+ higher ed security and privacy professionals to network with their peers, make new connections,
earn certification credits, and more. In addition to two exciting keynote speakers, Harriet Pearson and Charlie Miller,
attendees may also choose to attend half or full-day seminars. The meeting will also be held in conjunction with the
REN-ISAC Member Meeting.

2) Expand and enhance the mentoring program.

The HEISC mentoring team recently surveyed mentors and mentees that were matched in 2013. Feedback will inform the 2014
matching process, which is well underway. CISOs interested in finding a mentor can sign up for the program when
registering for the Security Professionals Conference (or send an e-mail to security-council () educause
edu<mailto:security-council () educause edu%3cmailto:security-council () educause edu>). We also continue to seek
veteran CISOs and CIOs who are interested in participating as mentors.

3) Continue to update and promote the use of the Information Security Guide.

The Editorial Board is hard at work updating the Information Security Guide to align with ISO 27002:2013, which
includes several new chapters. We plan to unveil the latest version of the guide in early May. The team will also
review Google Analytics reports to track how content is accessed.

4) Create a career development program for security professionals In addition to the Security Professionals Conference
and mentoring program, HEISC is developing recommendations and tools to help information security practitioners
identify options for career advancement. EDUCAUSE is also working on ways to help CISOs find each other through our
member directory <http://www.educause.edu/members> by adding searches for CISO "By Functional Role" and Cybersecurity
"By Area of Interest".

We hope that you find these updates informative and useful. We continue to welcome your questions, comments, or input
regarding potential new resources for the higher ed community.

Thank you,

Peter Murray and Elias Eldayrie

HEISC Co-Chairs