Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SMTP Outbound

From: "Di Fabio, Andrea" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:46:45 -0500

We only allow 25 in/out to/from our email servers but we do allow 587 out as
we found that many email clients, especially on mobile devices, will use
this port. So the new question is, are you allowing TCP 587 out of your
network without restriction and have you seen any issue with doing that? We
have not seen any issues thus far.

Andrea Di Fabio, CISO

Director, IT Security and Network

Norfolk State University

Office of Information Technology

Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research, Rm 401M

555 Park Avenue, Suite 401

Norfolk, Virginia 23504

757-823-2896 Office

757-823-2128 Fax

NSU email communication is subject to permanent archival, it is covered
under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), and may be partially or fully
disclosed.