Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Best practice for reverse DNS records

From: Julian Y Koh <kohster () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 21:56:43 +0000

On Jan 13, 2014, at 15:22 , Lisciotti, Kevin <klisciotti () UMASSP EDU> wrote:

I was curious as to what others do in regards to creating external PTR records.

By default, if something gets registered with a forward DNS name, it also gets a reverse record.  There are still some
applications here that make some decisions based on a reverse record, and I’m sure there are still some servers out
there using TCP wrappers that check to make sure the forward and reverse match before allowing connections (although
how useful that is these days is another question).

--
Julian Y. Koh
Acting Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
847-467-5780
NUIT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>