Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Replacing NetReg with ?

From: Joe St Sauver <joe () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:15:40 -0800

Hi,

Michael commented:

#I understand the issue with not feeling the need for IPv6 right now.
#The issue is, we don't know exactly _when_ we will need IPv6, but we can
#pretty much bet that we will need it at some point.  What we can do now
#is to minimize the risks associated with being stuck without IPv6 when
#we need it and/or having to do a crash deployment just to be able to
#talk to some important donor foundation or research project.  I wrote
#about this topic a while back:
#
# http://esnetupdates.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/the-risks-of-not-deploying-ipv6-in-the-re-community-2/

I agree with Michael. You can see my perspective on IPv4 runout and IPv6
deployment at:

   http://pages.uoregon.edu/joe/merit-networking/merit-networking.pdf

(specifically sections 1 and 2 of that talk)

At this point, my strong recommendation would be to ensure that *all* new
infrastructure fully supports both IPv4 and IPv6, thereby "future proofing"
your network investments against IPv6-related obsolescence.

Regards,

Joe

Disclaimer: all opinions expressed are my own, etc.