Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Upgrade

From: Nathaniel Hall <educause-lists () NATHANIELHALL COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 14:00:53 -0600

The way I used to handle this situation was to block all outbound email
at the firewall unless it was destined to the anti-spam system that sat
in the DMZ. Then, in that system, I blocked all relaying of email unless
there was an authenticated connection via SSS/TLS or if the system was
in an IP based allow list (for printer/copier/faxes or other similar
devices). This setup caused a little bit of pain until our User Support
group understood which cases needed which configuration.

With relaying the mail for those devices through the anti-spam system,
the messages still got scanned for spam and viruses.

--
Nathaniel Hall