Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FireEye?

From: "Keller, Alex" <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 05:23:18 +0000

Hi Omen,

I was a consumer of FireEye reports at a previous job. It looks like their product line has evolved and expanded (as
expected), but at that time (2 years ago) we were using  their egress filtering appliance to identify known malicious
sites and command and control servers.  It is promising technology and my general impression was that the process of
'intelligent' network blacklisting has significant potential to be effective.

As with many security services/appliances of this nature, part of the value question is related to what extent your org
is institutionally ready to incorporate the technology into your workflow.  In my experience you can have great tools
and instrumentation, but in order to be successful you must establish proven methods for investigation, remediation,
and of course the human resources to back that up.

Please keep us posted on your research.

Best,
alex

Alex Keller