Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: capturing full URL information via DNS request logs

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 17:50:32 -0400

Depending on exactly what you are trying to determine and report on, you are likely trying to make the wrong tools do a
job they were not designed for.  We use Palo Alto devices which give us this level of  insight, and allow us to control
it if needed in many ways.

In addition, for HR types of requests it's simple to pull a report on a users access. I am sure there are other tools
to do the same, but Netflow and DNS were not designed for this purpose.  Reminds me of the requests we get to update
our DNS servers to redirect a particular web page.

Just my 2 cents....

Sent from my iPad