Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: TOR and the Digital Freedom Conversation

From: "Williams, Charles" <CWilliams () BEN EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:02:35 +0000

I have been following this with interest because the topic is near and dear to my heart.  The point that Marty is
making is very apt to the discussion.  I have had members of my staff say exactly this -- I have nothing to hide.  They
are a little less sanguine when I as questions like:

Do you want your spouse to be able to access this information?  We don't even have ascribe nefarious motives here.
It's as simple as not being able to buy a surprise present for one's spouse.

Do you want your employer or your boss to be able to access this data?

The last line reminds me of a great historical example -- the French Revolution, remember Madam Defarge and her
knitting in "A Tale of Two Cities?"  I know, it's fiction but she represents the effects.

--Randy

Charles R. Williams
Chief Information Officer
Benedictine University