Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: TOR and the Digital Freedom Conversation

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 08:27:02 -0600

On 12/10/2013 06:22 PM, Jones, Mark B wrote:
There is a difference between 'Privacy' and 'Secrecy'

You are correct that there is a difference, but they are not exclusive. While the use of authentication and no anonymity may be an approach to protecting published online information from those without access, it does nothing to preserve privacy in the face of authorized but unwanted access. Nor does it address the loss of privacy from complete tracking -- in fact, a true lack of anonymity would destroy privacy.

Case 1: I want to store information in the cloud, but I want to retain confidentiality of the data. This is a case where strong authentication/no anonymity would be a viable approach, but there is no reason to deny anonymity in a general sense. That is, strong authentication can be used to establish an access control to a data set without requiring that a person's identity be publicly disclosed.

Case 2: I desire to have some privacy in my actions. Some degree of anonymity is *required* to accomplish this. For example, if I buy some books on medieval mysticism it used to be that a simple cash transaction kept it essentially private. There are some caveats (if the seller knows my personally then they will know I bought them, but for a random person off the street it would be essentially anonymous).

It is trivial to demonstrate a connection between privacy and anonymity. Those promoting a police state are naturally against anonymity. Those promoting privacy understand the utility of strong encryption and anonymity.

Tim Doty

 Tor seems like it
may lean toward the latter.

I have found that the following site has a useful perspective on privacy
issues:  http://www.privacilla.org

Here are some key quotes:

"Importantly, privacy is a personal, subjective condition. One person cannot
decide for another what his or her sense of privacy should be."

"While privacy is held up as one of our highest values, people also
constantly share information about themselves by allowing others to see
their faces, learn their names, learn what they own, and learn what they
think. In fact, it is a desirable lack of privacy that allows people to
interact with one another socially and in business. This does not mean that
people should lose control over the information they want to keep private.
It means that generalizations about privacy are almost always wrong."

http://www.privacilla.org/fundamentals/whatisprivacy.html

Also 'Privacy' is not the same as 'anonymity'.  It is my opinion that strong
authentication and the lack of anonymity are the keys to improved privacy
online.  Only with strong authentication can consumers and services be held
accountable for behavior online.