Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

SQRL (Re: [SECURITY] Image, word, and password login)

From: Ben Marsden <bmarsden () SMITH EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 16:07:17 -0500

I hate passwords as an authentication tool...

and I side with the concept that biometrics assert identity, not
authorization....

So, is anyone else looking at SQRL as a possible implementation option?
 IMHO it's a pretty nice concept, but it's in the early stages of
development.

In a grossly oversimplified nutshell, it uses site-specific asymmetric key
pairs to identify / authenticate an individual with pretty minimal user
interaction -- seems both easy to use (user friendly) and robust (PEBKAC
averse + compromise resistant).

  *https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm <https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm>*
and
    *http://www.sqrl.pl/ <http://www.sqrl.pl/>*  -- for a more graphical
description of the process

 fwiw,  -- Ben
Ben Marsden : Information Security Director, CISSP/GISP
ITS, Stoddard Hall, Smith College, Northampton, MA 01063
bmarsden () smith edu     (413) 585-4479
=--> Any request to reveal your Smith password via email is fraudulent!