Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Small cheap custom phishing

From: Steve Bohrer <skbohrer () SIMONS-ROCK EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 17:43:29 -0500

This stuff is likely old hat to many of you, but Simon's Rock is so tiny that this is our first exposure to a really
custom phish email. It had our domain as the forged "From:" field, our proper institution name and address to make it
look legitimate, and the text part of the bogus log-in anchor was also our domain. (The fake form was on phpforms.net,
and they were very responsive about dropping it.) The phishers caught at least three of our users, so far all alumni
accounts, and after trying general spamming with the first two, moved on to launching the same sort of attack from us
targeting Rider.edu . (Sorry about that.)

With a little thought, we realized that this level of customization would be easy to automate, and, if you are a
spammer with a big address database, easy to target. The info in the custom phish is built from widely available online
data; they would not even need to visit our web site, but could pull all it from domain registrations. Then, simply
find all the @simons-rock.edu addresses in your spam database, and send the phish on its way. Given the amount of spam
that hits our filters, I'd say spammers in general have pretty good coverage of our entire user base.

FWIW, here's the sample text they sent our users: