Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls

From: Chris Golden <cgolden () LEEUNIVERSITY EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:05:48 +0000

We eval'd a Fortinet and used it for URL filtering, IDS/IPS, and Firewall rulesets and the thing ran 80-90% resources
constantly.  I ended up with a PA-5020 and we have all these things running (and more) and we aren't even in double
digits in terms of resources.

The PA-5020 is a beast.  For me it was difficult transitioning from a Checkpoint to the Palo Alto.  I was stuck in port
mode and needed to think application layer.  But once the mindset changed, I'm extremely happy with the PA.

I have a 600MB connection that’s constantly being used.  (mostly for Netflix and Youtube)

-Chris

Chris Golden
Director of IT Operations
Lee University