Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: passwords vs. passphrases

From: Geoffrey Steven Nathan <geoffnathan () WAYNE EDU>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 14:30:25 -0400

It seems that the result of this discussion is that neither passwords nor passphrases are secure. We now know that
easily available tools can crack even long passwords, and that utilizing grammatical parsing tools (POS taggers) can
make passphrases easy to crack too (and it's not just being 'grammatically correct'--anything resembling English will
be crackable).

The take-home: we should not be relying on pass[word/phrase]s in the first place. Of course, we'll never convince the
auditors of that. So we'll continue to inconvenience and annoy our users, while at the same time knowing (amongst
ourselves) that it's for no good reason, and doesn't make them or us any safer. Kinda like airport security...

Sigh...

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic
the email looks.