Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Browsing Security

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 16:41:14 -0500

We haven't "implemented" NoScript and I don't really recommend it to folks, but FireFox with NoScript is widely used within IT and it may have spread outside of it (as I no longer do support I don't see that many folk's desktops anymore to get a feel for how widely it is installed).

However, many of the people I know who have installed NoScript routinely allow all scripts referenced by a site. In fact, some have complained about having to do so multiple times (which happens when one javascript wants to load code from another domain not already referenced).

I am always careful to not actually recommend NoScript because of this, though it does come up as a defense strategy. I love it myself, but few people are happy with a broken Internet and I have noticed most do not understand that there's no meaningful difference between "I got infected when I visited the page" and "I got infected after permitting all scripts -- which is what I always do". In fact, when this point came up earlier this week I was told, in close paraphrase, "its too much bother trying to figure out which domains to allow to get a page to work, so I just allow them all."

My point is that people want things to "just work" and NoScript, when used effectively, does the exact opposite of that. When I talk about NoScript with people I emphasize how to use it effectively and how much that will break the Internet as I do not want to foster the false sense of security I see people have because "they use NoScript".

FWIW, the feature I would love to see in NoScript is to "allow only for this page/site" so when you allow google.com (required for google apps) you can restrict the permission to only google's sites, not everyone else's. And, if I used FaceBook, it would be useful in that situation as well.

Tim Doty