Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Omnibus rule and Google (or any other Cloud service provider)

From: "Dr. Wole Akpose" <wole.akpose () MORGAN EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:35:05 -0400

An interesting question.

How does the following compilation help :

https://docs.google.com/a/morgan.edu/document/d/12CfwkS7vuAd-GjJmx0ggXp1e9NETbywc9puh1lZvrt4/edit

*W. Akpose*

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Mig Hofmann <mig () sfsu edu> wrote:

Related to Dan's posting of earlier this year, we are experiencing
difficulty re-negotiating contracts with our SaaS providers related to
HIPAA compliance.  The new Omnibus Rule appears to be impacting their
stance considerably (against offering much...)

Their costs and reluctance to take on architectural solutions looks like
we will have to abandon some contracts either due to increased costs,
consider all new vendors or bring back-in-house services we previously
outsourced.

For Student Health Services specifically, have any of you found SaaS
providers that you like especially for hosted medical records solutions and
on site managed security services that were reasonably priced and have
eased your HIPAA compliance burden?

Thanks

Mig

     K. Mig Hofmann
Information Security Officer, San Francisco State University
415.338.3018, mig () sfsu edu
-
*In adversity, we know our friends and one's self*.