Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vetting New Devices

From: "Hahues, Sven" <shahues () FGCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 13:43:26 +0000

Bill,

We still check all newly connecting student computers for AV software and some version of the operating system using
our NAC (Bradford).  They have an agent that can be permanently installed or run once to check for the software the
students should have.

To get through the crunch of new registrations for Fall move in, we ask students to check their computers against our
system ahead of time (there is a website they can download the run once client), and we schedule sessions that the
students can attend during move in week where our helpdesk staff assists up to 30 students at a time.

In the past with Windows XP we used to have a lot of calls because students did not have anti malware software, but
since windows 7 and windows 8 have built in security software this has gotten much less of an issue for Windows users,
and actually we now have more Mac users who have to come in because they don't have AV software.

The biggest reason we go through all this is to register the device to the student so we know later on who devices
belonged to if we have any weird problems with the computers.

Hope that helps!

Sven