Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Firewalls

From: John Kaftan <jkaftan () UTICA EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 14:23:45 -0400

We have been using Fortinet 1000as for the last 6 years.  We are currently
in a firewall RFP to replace these boxes and wonder if anyone out there can
help.

We are planning on having two firewalls in an HA configuration.  We have
about 1500 users on campus and about 2500 distance and commuter students.
 We have a 1 Gb internet connection.  We are only looking to protect our
edge.

We are looking at the following options.

Fortigate 1000cs
Cisco ASA 5580s
Palo-Alto 5020s

Reading through the literature can be overwhelming with UTM firewalls.  I'd
just like to know if anybody is using one of these platforms and the pros
and cons you see.  Specifically, we are concerned about support and how the
boxes perform as you turn on features, also usability.

Thanks

--
John Kaftan
IT Infrastructure Manager