Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing, Spam Solutions

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:34:35 +0000

I will add a vote for Ironport email filtering.  The past 30 days, our pair of Ironport M1070s have blocked 93.9% of
incoming email, without complaint.

However, the brief phish messages that are so common still come through, to a large extent.  The messages come from
compromised email accounts on systems with generally good reputations and they often link to fairly trusted web
servers.  The password collection forms are often hosted on "reputable" web hosting services or on recently hacked
websites.  The Ironport reputation analysis strategy that works so well, has a hard time with these.

Our Ironports are currently watching for any links on about a dozen hosts and adding a warning of the possibility of a
phishing scam.  For more details about our situation, see:
    https://it.usu.edu/computer-security/be-an-internet-skeptic/form-services/

Meanwhile, we have an active "Be an Internet Skeptic" campaign to alert our staff and students about the potential for
mischief, especially via social engineering.

Bob Bayn    SER 301    (435)797-2396       IT Security Team
Office of Information Technology,     Utah State University
     three common hazardous email scams to watch out for:
     1) unfamiliar transaction report from familiar business
     2) attachment with no explanation in message body
     3) "phishing" for your email password