Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SANS Training - VA Tech, 5/20-25/2013- Securing Windows and Resisting Malware (SEC 505)

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 16:32:17 -0400

On Thu, 09 May 2013 19:08:24 -0000, "McDowell, Karen (krm6r)" said:

I am really interested in this class and know the registration deadline is
coming up fast, but the only computer I have is Bootcamp on a Mac.

Unlike some SANS classes, this one can be done without a laptop.

The official word from SANS on the need for a laptop is available here:

http://www.sans.org/course/securing-windows

Exerpts:

"Please note that bringing a laptop is optional, but recommended, and it's nice
to bring a CD-ROM drive too."

"What if I do not have a laptop or Windows Server Virtual Machine?

You are very welcome to attend the course if your VM does not meet the above
specifications or if you cannot bring a laptop at all. The manuals are filled
with screenshots and the instructor will be demonstrating software on a
projection screen, so you will not miss out. Typically, 50% of the audience
will not have laptops with Windows Server configured as a domain controller, so
you will not be alone; however, the course is much more enjoyable and
educational if you have Windows Server in a VM with you."