Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Reset

From: Drew Perry <aperry () MURRAYSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:12:54 -0600

Now there's a question that can spider fairly quickly. Let's begin by
asking "Which password?" Does your facility have consolidated credentials,
such that there is one password for everything? In our case, we have
consolidated identity (username), but each password can be (but most often
isn't) unique. However, our central ERP system has a consolidated pane
(pain?) for resetting each separate password all in one place. Resetting
your ERP password requires either answering 2 security questions chosen at
random from a larger pool, OR a visit to the help desk. There is the
ability for remote users to receive a password reset for the ERP system via
official email, but that's assuming you also remember your email password.
You see how quickly this can get fairly complicated?

Our long-term goal is a simple backend solution where setting your ERP
password resets all of your other passwords to the same at the same time.
We already have the hooks in place since ERP resets all others. But there
are licensing and political roadblocks keeping that solution from
manifesting. User credentialing has long been the bane of Information
Security. As Matt Honan wrote in wired, "passwords are broken." But until
alternative identification methods are more ubiquitous, they're what we
have.

Drew Perry
Security Analyst
Murray State University
(270) 809-4414
aperry () murraystate edu

***MSU Information Systems staff will *never* ask for your password or
other confidential information via email.***
*
*