Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Questions about Shibboleth

From: Eric Weakland <eric () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:01:53 -0400

Christopher,

We set up our IDP about 2 years ago.  It has been worth it.  Let me know
if you want longer, detailed answers on any of these and we can set up a
call.

1.       Ease of setup and configuration
        A: Pretty steep learning curve at first, we looked for a vendor to
partner with who had experience and was already an incommon member (SP) to
help us get our IDP set up.  That technique worked pretty well.

2.       Maintenance:  Amount of time and effort to manage
        A: Low.  Assign explicit responsibility for keeping on top of
InCommon updates/mailing list.

3.       Overall impressions on effectiveness
        A: High - having a standard authentication method for cloud/hosted
services has been very useful.  Helps us avoid the custom solution
resource drain.  Also helps avoid unexpected changes from a vendor.  Yay
standards.

Best,

Eric Weakland, CISSP, CISM, CRISC
Director, Information Security
Office of Information Technology
American University
eric at american.edu
202.885.2241

AU IT will never ask for your password via e-mail.
Don't share your password with anyone!