Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mobile Device Registration and Limit of Devices Per User

From: "Hahues, Sven" <shahues () FGCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 21:42:54 +0000

Mr. Flaherty,

We are currently only requiring registration of mobile devices for the users of our residential network.  The reason we
do this is so that we can steer them to the appropriate network.  We do not really limit the amount of devices users
can register simply because the students have so many devices that it would become too much of a hassle for us to
enforce these types of limits.  Students trade out technology so quickly that it would be hard to keep up with.

We are talking about going to a registration system for our public wireless network, too as we really would like to get
some better visibility into who is using it, and also for accountability reasons.  Even there we would ask everyone to
register any device that connects, regardless of what it is.

Hope that helps!

Sven

Sven Hahues
Ass. Dir. FGCU Network Services & Helpdesk
Tel: (239) 590 1337
E-Mail: shahues () fgcu edu

No department at FGCU will EVER ask you for your username and password in person or through e-mail. If you receive an
e-mail requesting your EagleMail or FGCU email password, DO NOT respond.  Delete the e-mail immediately.