Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Malware remediation?

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:29:59 -0500

We recently upgraded our firewalls to Palo Alto Networks' next-gen hardware.
We are very happy with them.  They have threat (IPS) detection and
prevention, AV detection and blocking, and URL filtering.  We subscribe to
their Wildfire service, which is comparable to the FireEye we tested late
last year.  When the firewalls detect and new EXE is downloaded, the file is
also downloaded to a virtual testing system on their network where they
monitor its actions, create a report of potential malware, and sends it to
us.  It has been very effective.

I will admit, I have been skeptical of the "all-in-one" boxes in the past,
but, the PAN firewalls are doing the work of four different devices very
effectively.

Ronald King
Security Engineer
Norfolk State University